Mark Little is a science teacher at Broomfield High School in Broomfield, Colorado. In addition to teaching AP Biology for more than 15 years, Mark was very involved with the AP Biology community. This includes being active in the AP re-design and serving as an AP Reader, a Table Leader at the reading, and being an item writer for the exam. Additionally, Mark started the AP Environmental Science program at his school. Mark was a member of the first cohort of the BSCS/NABT AP Leadership Academy, works for National Math and Science Initiative (NMSI), the Colorado Science Initiative and as a College Board Consultant, all programs focussed on helping students and teachers prepare for AP science exams. Mark was President of the National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) in 2013. In 2005, Mark was recognized as the Outstanding Biology Teacher Award for the state of Colorado.
- Mark grew up going to National Parks
- At Colorado State, Mark prepared to be a park ranger or a teacher (and coach)
- Rick Burinski brought Mark into NABT at the 1992 conference in Denver
- Aaron asked Mark if changing in his teaching career look like more gradualism or punctuated equilibrium.
- Mark noted that the punctuating events of his career have included being a Woodrow Wilson fellow at Princeton and being involved in the AP Biology Read.
- Mark also encourages people to get involved with NABT committees or state affiliates
- At Woodrow Wilson, Mark learned from people like Don Cronkite and Bonnie Bassler.
- At the AP Reading Mark was able to connect and learn from the likes of Bill Barstow and Peggy O’Neill Skinner.
- Being a new teacher can be overwhelming
- Aaron has lots of shared resources in his drive including Sydney Bergman’s Newbie’s Guide to AP Bio
- Learning is often messy, but we learn from our mistakes.
- Students need to be able to evaluate information because they will eventually be voters on issues like GMO labeling in Colorado.
- Cell Biology by the Numbers by Ron Milo &, Rob Phillips
- Aaron’s goal is to implement “I Can…” statements like what I learned Diana Siliezar-Shields
- AP Biology labs like leaf floating disc can be used at any level
- You can follow Mark on Twitter @mrsciencelittle
Pick of the Week:
Mark – Paul Andersen’s new website https://thewonderofscience.com/
Aaron – Meet the Microbiologist podcast
Music by: https://exmagicians.bandcamp.com/
Show Notes at Lifeoftheschool.org