Jabin Burnworth is a science teacher Manchester Junior Senior High School in North Manchester, Indiana. He currently teaches Biology 1, Anatomy & Physiology, and AP Environmental Science. Jabin is known for extending his teaching beyond the classroom, as he regularly leads a group of AP Environmental Science students on a trip to the Florida Everglades. He has also been very involved in the North Manchester community by serving on the Public Library Strategic Planning Committee, North Manchester Tree Commission, North Manchester Community Trail Network, and as President and Board Member at Large for the Environmental Education Association of Indiana. Some of his past awards include, the 1999 Indiana Association of Biology Teachers “Creative Teacher of the Year” award and the Manchester Community Schools 2016-17 Outstanding Teacher.
- Jabin and Aaron met on twitter, we were introduced to one another by the great Dr. Paul K. Strode
- Jabin recently read The Great Transition: Shifting from Fossil Fuels to Solar and Wind Energy by Lester R. Brown
- Aaron insists No spoilers for Stranger Things Season 2
- When you are a new teacher, the kids can make you feel like an imposter
- Teachers don’t need to know the answers… they just need to be authentic
- Jabin teaches in a rural town, but also has Manchester University and Warsaw Indiana, the Orthopedics Capital of the world
- Jabin thought he’d need to move to Portland to be with his people, but found community in North Manchester.
- Jabin tried to change it up in 1999 and brought students to the Hoh Rain Forest… which was a disaster. So back to The Everglades they went.
- Students get lots of field experience including shark tagging with Derek Burkholder from Nova Southeastern University.
- Jabin books all of the flights and vans for the trip… he’s a fan of thrifty.com which has a friendly cancellation policy.
- Jabin teaches the kids to pack super light.
- Students are working on a long-term research project looking at Cattails in the Hole-in-the-Donut
- Jabin has connected with Dick Konicek-Moran (who writes the Everyday Science Mysteries)
- Jabin is excited about working with fire ecologist in the everglades this year.
- Key Largo swim with Dolphins
- Biscayne National Park Stomach contents of Lionfish
- jim poyser earth charter of indiana climate recovery plan film Little Warriors
- Jabin wants more student centered curriculum
- Both Jabin agree that our ultimate goal is to build lifelong learners
- Jabin helped manage a local music venue in North Manchester called The Firehouse (like Steve Burns now indie rocker… former host of Blue’s Clues)
- Aaron is reading “Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning” by Peter C. Brown, Henry L. Roediger III, Mark A. McDaniel and “Double Whammy” by Carl Hiaasen
- He also recommends students read “Scat” before they go on Jabin’s trip.
- Jabin recommends the book “Big Chicken”
- We agree Jon Darkow is awesome!
- You can follow Jabin on twitter @manchesterbio
Pick of the Week:
Jabin – windy.com
Aaron – National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science case “Decoding the Flu”
Music by: https://exmagicians.bandcamp.com/
Show Notes at Lifeoftheschool.org