Kevin English is a science teacher at Perrysburg High School in Perrysburg, Ohio. Kevin teacher AP Biology, serves as the chair of the high school Science Department and is advisor to the Student Council. In 2009, he was named the Northwest Ohio Environmental Educator of the year for his work in bringing a native wetlands ecosystem to his high school campus. Outside of Perrysburg, Kevin is the National Association of Biology Teachers Region III Coordinator. You can follow Kevin’s musings about teaching and baseball on twitter @KevinMEnglish25.
- Aaron and Kevin agree that we love the AP revision.
- Kevin has tapped into local resources including the Wood County Soil and Water Conservation District and Park District.
- Aaron has encouraged Kevin to look into Project Budburst Envirothon with his wetlands ecosystem project.
- Kevin is fighting invasives on campus like purple loosestrife and phragmites. Aaron is seeing Hemlock Woolly Adelgid, Oriental Bittersweet, watermilfoil, and Buckthorn damaging the natural space on his campus.
- We will see you St. Louis for NABT ‘17!
- Kevin hosted Ann Brokaw from HHMI at his school.
- Kevin’s PLC worked on labs like the Yeast Spheres protocol.
- Both Aaron and Kevin are inspired by Paul Strode’s SBG work.
- Paul Andersen has more friends than he thinks he does (like Bob Kuhn, Chi Klein, and David Knuffke).
- Aaron drops a terrible humblebrag about being featured in Quanta Magazine
- Kevin’s oldest son is a senior at the University of Cincinnati and works in Zalfa Abdel-Malek’s dermatology lab – the one features in HHMI’s ‘Biology of Skin Color’ video.
- We got philosophical pondering the future of education.including MOOCs, Videos, and online textbooks (like ck12 and openstax.)
Pick of the Week:
Kevin – An Article that focuses on the algae problem in Lake Erie and in the Maumee River. The extended summer (still in the 90’s here) has only helped the algae to spread. Most of it is due to runoff from local farms.