Sherry Annee teaches Honors Biotechnology at Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School in Indianapolis. She was the recipient of the 2001 Milken National Educator Award, 2005 Outstanding Biology Teacher Award for Indiana, and 2009 Butler University Distinguished Alumni Award. Within the state of Indiana, Sherry is a past President of both the Hoosier Association of Science Teachers, Inc., and the Indiana Association of Biology Teachers. As a highly active teaching professional, she attended the 2011 and 2012 BioBuilder Workshops at MIT and co-hosted a 2012 BioBuilder workshop at Purdue University. Sherry is a past member of the BioBuilder Foundation Advisory Board. She is also a Teacher Ambassador for HHMI BioInteractive. Sherry earned a B.S. in Biological Sciences and Biology/Chemistry Secondary Education from Purdue University and a M.S. in Effective Teaching from Butler University.
- Sorry about the barking dog in the background at the start of the show. Aaron needed to use a thunder blanket with his dog, but I didn’t put it on her until about halfway through the conversation.
- Aaron and Sherry ran into NSTA each other at the National Conference in LA
- Aaron stays connected to BioBuilder by advising a BioBuilder Club
- Sherry has developed The Brebeuf Jesuit Science Alumni Skype Seminar Series.
- A former student from Aaron’s school, Tim Cox just sent him this neuroscience paper which he contributed to as a co-author.
- Sherry helped to launch the HASTI facebook page
- We agree mentorship is important!
- Building community was one of the expressed goals of the NABT/BSCS AP Biology Teacher Academy that Aaron attended.
- Teaching has changed from an isolated to a connected career.
- Science never sleeps, if you don’t keep up with modern techniques, like CRISPR, your kids are still going to ask.
- If you still use Vine in your lesson… It may be time to update your lesson.
- Teaching is a humbling profession.
- Sherry is a daredevil who likes to go fossil hunting with fossil hunter Marge and helicopter into the Grand Canyon.
- Sherry’s Twitter is @sherryannee
Picks of the Week:
Aaron – BSCS Explanation Tool