Bob Kuhn is a science teacher at Centennial High School in Roswell, GA. He has taught biology and AP Biology for more than 14 years. Bob is widely recognized as a leader in the AP Biology Community. He serves as the moderator of the College Boards AP Biology Teacher’s Community. Bob was the 2016 the recipient of the Kim Foglia AP Biology Service Award. Bob is a frequent presenter at both state and national teaching conferences. He has helped develop and present many resources for HHMI BioInteractive, including the Data Points resources. He also contributed to the Unity & Diversity writing project with his essay “Being Open-Minded with a Skeptical Filter” You may also recognize his voice as an contributor and guest host on the Horizontal Transfer Podcast. You can follow his musings about biology teaching and life in general on twitter @APBIORoswell.
- We did not announce Super Bowl LI Picks… nothing more to say here.
- Bob and Aaron both loved our college towns Athens Georgia & Amherst Massachusetts
- Bob’s first post college job was inspecting Pit landfills
- Bob channels Matthew McConaughey to describe life in a college town
- Bob just helped out at the recent Georgia State Science Teachers Conference
- New State Science Standards in Georgia were rolled out at the conference
- NSTA 2018 National Conference is in Atlanta
- Bob mines a lot of free peer reviewed data from PLOS
- HHMI BioInteractive has a wealth of great resources
- Another source of data sets for students is Data Nuggets
- Aaron wonders how pre-print servers like BioRxiv will have on professional journals
- Here are some examples (One, Two) of old Data Sets Aaron will use from time-to-time
- Aaron’s microbiome project was presented at the 2016 MABT Conference.
- Bob’s (originally from Brad Williamson) Floating Disks in Petri Dish is mesmerizing
- Aaron is obsessed with the Yeast Catalase Lab
- Bob has thoughts about Standards Based Grades – Here are his thoughts.
- Bob’s brilliant analogy of extracurricular activities as the epigenetics of their work habits.
- Top Songs from 1937… This show note will make no sense unless you get to the end of the episode.
- Pineapple Board was inspired by Hacking Assessment: 10 Ways to Go Gradeless in a Traditional Grades School
Pick of the Week: (Share a resource or news story that has grabbed your attention recently)