Clifford Nafrada is a science teacher at Arcadia High School in Phoenix, AZ. Clifford teacher Biology I, AP Biology, and Human Anatomy and Physiology. Clifford is a practitioner and advocate for active learning, including the Arcadia Students Working Actively with Technology, POGILs, Seminars instead of lectures, Standards Based Grading and Mastery Learning. Clifford is a regular and active participant in the National AP Biology Teachers Group on Facebook and is one of the moderators for the National Anatomy and Physiology Teachers Group on FB. Outside of the classroom Clifford also serves a the Arcadia High School wrestling coach.
- Clifford is very excited Baseball Playoff time is here!
- Aaron and Clifford were chatting on Indigenous peoples day
- We chatted about Eric Mazure’s “The Twilight of Lecture” Philosophy
- Clifford has this flowchart explaining how he covers his curriculum themes.
- We agree that Telling isn’t teaching
- Teaching Metacognition is hard!
- Aaron has been playing with Stoplight Formative Assessment this year.
- Hybrid Standards Based Grading inspired by Bob Kuhn and David Knuffke
- Again, the discussion discussed the 2012 AP Biology Redesign
- The seminar vs lecture discussion is not a new concept.
- Scaffolding Strategies are important for students in new settings
- Clifford’s students get religious allusions.
- The “scientific method” is not a thing
- Clifford has been using an Interactive notebook with his classes
- Clifford is considering Going Gradeless in the years to come.
- Arizona is integrating NGSS
- Science Practices in NGSS and AP Biology have a whole lot of overlap
- We got into a slightly political conversation about right to work vs Union Representation
- Lin Manuel’s Hip hop references blow us all away…
Picks of the Week:
Clifford – Nobel Prize https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2017/